Re: RC: riding just before a competition

In a message dated 5/11/99 9:29:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
casbeer@molalla.net writes:

<< Hi all, I'm fairly new at all this, it's my first year doing 50's.
 My mentors (riding buddies with years of experience) do not ride
 their horses for a week before a competition, but do warm them up
 before the ride.  Then I see about half the competitors riding on
 Friday night, some of them for quite a while. >>

One does not want to "condition" during the week before the ride, but I would
not lay off, either.  A complete lay-off can lead to problems like tying up.
What has worked well for me has been a walk-jog session for 30 to 45 minutes
on Tuesday and Thursday before a Saturday competition.

As for the Friday afternoon/evening ride around camp--I could never see much
point in it, and would rather have my horse eating, but the poster who made
the comment about familiarizing the horse with the last stretch of trail
makes a good point.  I'd be more apt to ride in camp on Friday on a green
horse that needed familiarization with the public setting than with an old
campaigner.  I've never found my older horses to have the slightest doubt
where camp is, even if they've never been to that particular ride
before--they have a good sense of direction and know the routine, so are not
put off by unfamiliar trails.  If it was a 100 that was not familiar and had
a very technical trail that I anticipated doing in the dark, I might go look
at a bit of it, but on the other hand, if one is going to do a significant
amount of it in the dark, they likely need the time to eat a lot worse than
they need a look at the trail.

Heidi