RE: riding just before a competition

Title: RE: riding just before a competition

-----Original Message-----
From: Tivers@aol.com [mailto:Tivers@aol.com] wrote:
 Warming up the night before probably has little event-specific
benefit, other than as a continuing regimen of "stay loose" exercise.

There are some distinct advantages to riding the night before the competition...but not in the way that Tom is thinking of.  The horse and rider become familiar with the trail coming into the finsh.  It is SO much easier to travel a trail in the dark if you have an idea how it is laid out.  My horse tends to perk up when he sees he's near the finish, too.

Lastly, I can chat with other folks there to compete in a relaxed way as we pre-ride.  It is far too busy on the day of the race.

I agree with Tom that suddenly cutting off exercise a week ahead of time may put the horse at risk of tying up.  I've actually seen that happen a lot.  At some "big" rides where folks have traveled literally days to get there, it is vitally important to reintroduce a normal feed & watering schedule and light exercise.  There's nothing more frustrating than tying up 2 miles into the race!

BTW, Brenda...  Here in the NE & SE, most rides are 4-8 hours away.  A three hour trailer ride is a short jaunt!  :-)

Linda Flemmer
Blue Wolf Ranch
Bruceton Mills, WV