Barn Rage

BARN RAGE
by Rookie Rider

I had gotten up early one Saturday morning, went out to the barn to feed the
horses and clean up a little (little being the optimum word here), and, as I
bent down to pick up the feed bag, the dang thing just opened up on me.  Out
from the bottom, all the contents spilled out on the floor.  50 lbs. of feed,
or more like 40, cause someone, or something, had eaten at least ten pounds
from the bottom of the bag.

So right off I'm thinking rats or something nasty like that.  Maybe a raccoon
or a possum, but, hey, I'm just guessin here.  I know I gotta do something
about it cause the feed's expensive, and since I don't have any money left
after that clipboard lady's lawyer took me to court for running her over with
my horse, it looks like I gotta turn hunter and kill this creature.  After
all, he is stealing from me and my horses.

This thought displeases me cause I like hunters even less than I like
lawyers.  I mean, who wants to be part of a group whose main claim to fame is
they shot Bambi's Mom or killed Thumper?  And how many hunters really enjoy
having us equestrians sharing their killing field with them, scattering game
and wildlife so Bubba can't find em and shoot em?  To you non-hunters named
Bubba (are there any?) I apologize.

But I realize, before I decide whether I'm going to kill anything, I've got
to find out what it is I might have to kill.  Murder's not really a part of
my normal thinking, I'm really quite a pacifist.  I've never really wanted to
take the life of any living creature, except maybe my bloodsucking ex-wife,
her lawyer, her father, her sister, and maybe one or two of her brothers. And
even with them it was only a passing thought, except for that ad I put in
Soldier of Fortune magazine.  But nothing ever came of it, those professional
soldiers wanted way too much money.

While I'm standing there, in my tack room, deciding whether or not to put on
my old camouflage fatigues left over from my military days (yea, I'm sure
they'll still fit), I hear this chuckling, animalistic, clicking noise coming
from above.  Now how does a rat end up in my rafters?  I look up and see the
culprit, the living target for my bullet (if only I had a gun).  And damn if
it doesn't look like he's laughing at me and just staring me down, with that
tiny black eye on the side of his face.  And to top it off, he's eating some
of that sweet feed he stole from my bag, looking content as he can be.  If he
had a TV and a beer he'd look way too familiar.  He then takes his eye off of
me and looks down at the remaining feed I spilled on the floor.  Like its
just a matter of time before he eats that too.

Yea, you guessed it, the crook is a squirrel.  A normally harmless, friendly
creature that most people adore.  As angry as I am from the bag of spilled
feed, I had to admit to myself he is kinda cute.  And let's face it, the only
weapon I have in the house is that old shotgun my Grandfather gave me and if
I tried to kill this squirrel with it I know I'd end up blowing a large hole
in the wall of my barn. So, what do I do?

And then it comes to me.  Teenager!  I know teenager is dangerous and he's
got just what I need to fix this problem.  So I look up at the squirrel, ask
him to wait, I'll be right back, and slowly proceed back to the house.  Now
I'm in teenager's room (man does it smell in here, kinda like a cross between
a football locker room and a port-a-pottie that has been out in the summer
sun way too long) looking for my weapon of destruction.  The search becomes
endless.  Clothes everywhere, all on the floor, even the clean ones that have
just been washed.  Gum wrappers, candybar wrappers, dinner plates with food
still on them, cups, spoons, CD's opened and out of the container, a Playboy
that I never knew was missing, letters and pictures from girls (this one
looks interesting), more food, that bag of peanuts I had bought for myself
last week, and just everything else you can think of to let you know you are
in a foreign land and really should not be here.  But I don't let any of it
distract me from my goal, my objective.  The only thing that could do this
would be something like a condom, but luckily, I don't find one.  And if I do
find one, I pray that it's still in the wrapper.

And then I find it.  It's one of the few things that is actually in his chest
of drawers.  Certainly, no clothes are in there.  I grab it and start to head
out, but realize I need ammo.  So I look for some, and in the drawer below I
find it.   Too easy.   Lady Luck is smiling on me today.  So off I go, to
finish the job, and to do it in a way where I can look myself in the mirror
later and say, "Me no kill squirrel."

Back to the barn I run, with the BB gun in one hand, and a container of BBs
in another.  I don't want to kill the guy.  Just scare him and let him know
that horse feed is not squirrel feed and he has to go out and obtain his nuts
legally, just like the rest of us.  As I enter the tack room there he is.  He
waited for me,  like I asked, but damn if he isn't just sitting there lapping
up the feed off of the concrete floor.  He spots me, grabs a handful (they
look like claw-hands actually) and scoots up the wall (how does he do that?),
defying gravity, and goes back to his roost in my rafters, giving me the evil
eye and the toothy grin.

So I load the gun.  Or try to but end up spilling BB's all over the floor.
As I bend over to pick them up the entire container of one thousand BB's
spills out and ends up right in the 40 pounds of feed.  I'm cursing now.
Lady Luck just gave me the finger.  I bend over and try and smooth out the
sticky feed from each individual BB, realizing this will probably jam up some
BB gun mechanism and cause all kinds of damage.  But since the gun was one of
those mistake purchases that you buy for your boy to show him how cool you
are, I continue on, not really caring if I damage it or not.

I get about ten sticky BBs into the gun, shake it like teenager taught me,
cock it and aim at my rodent looking friend.  I have him right in my sights,
steady my shaking hand and fire.  The gun makes a noise, but nothing comes
out.  No BB.  Damn.  I start cursing again.  I shake the gun again, even
harder than last time, cock it, aim, amazed that he's still there grinning at
me like the Cheshire Cat, and fire.  This time a BB comes out.  Yessssss.
But I miss and it hits the wood beam below the rafter, the BB rebounds right
back at me, hits my right eye glass lens and shatters it.  Man, they weren't
kidding when they tell you these things can put your eye out.

Now I'm really mad.  This ordeal has gone from minor skirmish to total war.
I'm really torked.  My pacifism magically leaves my body and in comes this
form of barn rage, that Californians and Floridians can identify with when on
the highway.  I had just purchased those glasses at Walmart only three years
ago; they were still like new.  I guess I should be grateful that nothing
went into my eye, but I'm too mad to be happy about anything right now.  So I
proceed with my next tactical operation.  I grab a handful of feed, mixed
with BBs, and throw it at him.  Some of it actually hits him.  He scurries
off along the rafters towards the horse stalls.  I lay the remains of my
glasses down, pick up the BB gun, and go after him.  It doesn't dawn on me
that, since I'm severely nearsighted, I have about as much chance of hitting
him as a NATO pilot bombing and actually hitting the Serbian military.  The
squirrel chase is on, let the games begin...............