Re: RC: RE: Types of Arabs

In a message dated 5/8/99 10:41:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, greymare@jps.net
writes:

<< If any horses on the pedigree are of Polish breeding, =
 there will be the initials PASB after the name of the horse on the =
 pedigree. I assume this stands for Polish Arabian Stud Book.  I also =
 assume that RASB stands for Russian Arabian Stud Book.  Beyond that, you =
 will see just "desert bred" in the pedigree.  But Heidi is right-there =
 are many mixed lines..........for example, the Skoroneck line is =
 considered Crabbet, I believe, but Skoroneck was bred in Poland.....
 I'm tired, anyone please correct me if I am wrong.  >>

Yes, PASB is Polish, RASB is Russian.  GSB is General Stud Book and AHS is
Arabian Horse Society--both England.  EAO, RAS, and others are Egyptian.
Etc., etc.

As to Skowronek--yes, he was bred in Poland, but was one of the premier sires
of Crabbet Arabian Stud in England, hence is considered Crabbet.  The Polish
influences on American breeding come from more recent Polish lines.

When I was referring to mixed pedigrees, I was referring to the mixing that
has gone on here in this country, although there certainly was mixing
elsewhere.  Here in this country it is not at all uncommon to see CMK
(Crabbet-Maynesboro-Kellogg) mare lines bred out to Polish and/or Egyptian
sire lines, or many other combos and mixes.  It is very difficult to predict
how such mixed source horses will look or perform--one simply has to take
each one as an individual.  In the case of mixed source mares or stallions,
it is even more of a coin toss as to what they will reproduce.  Many nice
performing individuals are mixed source, but often reproduce a wide range of
types of offspring, simply because they have such varied ancestry.  This is
not "wrong"--simply something one has to consider in deciding what one's
goals as a breeder are.

Heidi