Re: RC: Control at the Start and other adventures

In a message dated 4/30/99 11:35:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
BMcCrary27@aol.com writes:

<<  Wouldn't it be
 wonderful if all rides had a nice quiet controlled start for about 2 miles?
 Or a least one mile.

I'm with you Barbara!  The Malibu ride this weekend had a controlled start
and it was so peaceful and quiet, the horses were all really mellow.  I don't
think any of them realized when the "race" really started...we just sort of
spread out at our own speeds. Unfortunately, the start ended up being more or
less the high point of the ride for me.  About ten miles into the ride we
were trotting along at warp speed on a nice, shady trail that had a lot of
face-slapping brush on it, so I had my head down hoping to keep the scarring
to a minimum, unfortunately there was a tree branch across the trail (well
hidden by all the leaves and such) that the smaller horses just slipped
under... Harca (15.3) and I (5'8") were the perfect height to smack my head
into it.  The upper front portion of my helmet was crushed and if Harca
hadn't stopped when he felt me lose my balance, I would have ended up on the
ground.  As it was I had blurry vision and felt woozy for a couple of hours.
Naturally, pulling never even crossed my mind (please, I know that was
stupid).  Today, except for a sore neck and headache, I'm in fine shape.  We
finished the ride with Harca definitely feeling better than me.  That is one
tough 50 mile ride.  A funny story (if it didn't happen to you) .... Boyd
Zontelli was leading the pack by about 45 minutes when he got to the last vet
stop.  He has trained his horse to ground tie, so dropped the lead rope and
was doing something when his horse spotted home (they live just a few miles
away).  The horse took off down this little windy trail in the direction of
home.  Boyd, thinking quickly, jumped in a truck and headed home to catch the
horse and come back to finish the race.  That would have worked great except
for a helpful mountain biker who caught the horse not far from the vet stop
and brough him BACK to the vet stop.  The horse sat there patiently waiting
for Boyd who was sitting at home not so patiently waiting for the horse.
Comedy of errors.  Finally, somebody went and got Boyd, brought him back, he
got on the horse and finished the ride (still top ten I believe). Boyd's
sense of humor was intact and he was a good sport about the whole episode.
Well, I'm off to take a couple more Advil (better read that warning label one
more time...was that "don't exceed 6 or 16"?

Sylvia & Harca (watch out for those trees)