Re: RC: New Foal & Problems

Julia,
My older mare retained part of her placenta after giving
birth to her second foal (my first).  She did not get
treatment for over 48 hours (it's a long story, suffice it
to say that I listened to someone I shouldn't have), but by
that time she had a full-blown uterine infection. Boy did I
feel like a dumb, neglectful horse owner.  Once I realized
something was wrong (she had a fever and wasn't eating or
drinking), I got the vet out right away and Tia got IV
fluids (she was dehydrated), oxytocin, and antibiotics
immediately. She expelled the remaining placental tissue
shortly thereafter.  Then the vet lavaged (spelling?) her
three or four times over about a 10 day period (basically
until cessation of her foal heat) with an antibiotic
solution. Not only did I feel horrible for Tia, but I came
out a lot poorer in the pocket. I am now an official member
of the Placenta Police.

Now for the good news. Even though Tia did develop a fairly
serious uterine infection, it cleared up quite quickly with
proper treatment and she went on to breed easily and deliver
another foal for me (my current stallion). It sounds like
you and your vet identified the problem early before an
infection really got going, so I would think your mare is
doing just fine.

I just wish I had been on top of things like you <sigh>.

Kirsten

Julia Thom wrote:

> Vet has treated her with Banamine and oxytocin and left
> me with some bute.  I have heard that retaining a piece
> of a placenta can be very bad for the mare.  She seems to
> be feeling better and was eating hay last I checked.

<snip>

--
Kirsten (Price) Foruria
Vermilion Desert Ranch