Re: RC: Pregnant Mare

<<This is not endurance related but was wondering in most
people's experience when their mare "waxes up"  how
long before I can expect foaling to occur.

I am anxious for my mare to have her baby and want to
be sure to be there.  She waxed up last night sometime.

Thanks
Julia>>

Here is a great article on predicting foaling. It is from the Deepwater Farms
website located at http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/laexpress if any of you would
like to check out the site for yourselves.

Predicting Impending Parturition
By Jos Mottershead
There are of course many signs of the approach of birth in the mare:
"Softening" of the tail head and vulva lips; an increase in the size of the
udder; an overall change in the mare's body shape; sometimes a change in
disposition; and "waxing" - the build up of wax-like droplets on the end of
the mare's teats. This last signal is probably one of the most misguidedly
used! Often I hear it said "my mare waxed up last night, she's probably going
to foal tonight or tomorrow", and with that the mare owner goes out to the
barn to check the mare yet again, and may be plagued by many restless nights
yet! The sad truth about "waxing" is that it may happen as long as a month
before the mare foals, although up to two weeks is more common. Either way,
it's not a very reliable sign!
The best indicator I have found yet consists of the inspection of a few drops
of the mare's milk once a day. I always attempt to carry out this process at
about the same time each evening - usually feed time. Milk out a drop or two
from the mare onto a black plastic surface (you really do only need a drop or
two!). A watch strap was suggested to me originally, but I have found that
the black plastic top of a 35 mm photographic film container works even
better.
Well prior to parturition, the exudate will appear slightly white or yellowy,
and one is easily able to see the black plastic below through the liquid.
Within the 24 hours prior to the mare giving birth, the liquid will become
almost opaque, and it will be very hard to see the black plastic. You may
well also notice what appear to be large white granules in the liquid. It
will probably take at least one foaling to be able to identify the
difference, but once you've seen it, there's no mistaking it!
From a medical point of view - the difference in the consistency is as a
result of a change in the electrolyte levels in the liquid. Close to term,
calcium and potassium levels increase, and sodium levels drop. Incidentally
if induction of parturition is contemplated, recognition of this electrolyte
change is an important part of determining if it is safe to induce the mare.
I would not recommend that induction be carried out without such a check, and
the finding of acceptable levels, as well as a number of other checks that
must be made, also with acceptable results.
© 1999 Jos Mottershead. May be used upon notification, and with accreditation.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-