EPM

I may be all wrong here (and maybe this has already been
addressed, but here goes anyway....)

I have read (can't remember where, sorry) that it is
partially at least believed that the show/event horses are
showing symptoms and being diagnosed with this more
prevalently because of the large number of
vaccinations/dewormings they receive. And that THESE and
severe stress are what lowers their immune system so that
the EPM can take hold (so to speak.) Not that one shouldn't
vaccinate/deworm. I have a friend whose mare did the show
circuit, halter, then reining, etc. etc. Was diagnosed
(with a spinal) as EPM positive. Went throught the
treatment and is doing very well. But the point here is
that she was being vaccinated quite often, as compared to
the backyard horse who maybe gets twice a year vaccines.
Her owner has been researching everything she can get her
hands on and and is convinced that her vaccination and
deworming schedule for this mare could have predisposed her
to not just being a carrier, but showing symptoms. And
isn't it true that alot of horses are carriers and never
show symtoms until they are exposed to severe stress
conditions? (Like shows, long distance travelling, etc.) As
a prior vet tech. it seems to be somewhat similar (in the
stress regard) to Feline Leukemia. We had cats come in to
be tested, showing positive, but no symptoms whatsoever,
and within 2 months of the test, the owners would start
noticing symptoms. (The vet I worked with thought the
stress of capturing the cat, enclosing it in a box, coming
to a vet hospital and drawing blood could be stressful
enough for some to go from no symptoms to full blown
FeLeuk.) The backyard horses are rarely stressed, rarely
even ridden for that matter. (Before I get flamed, I am
referring to the horses we all see, in fields, that show no
signs of ever being ridden.)

Ok, that's my .02 worth,

Heidi

===