RE: Training Question

Okay, here is a question for you all - never having had a completely unfit
horse to ready for a ride, I am going to throw this out to the masses. Our
new mare is a dolly, well built, solid legs - all that! she has been at
pasture for at least 6 months up until we got her 2 weeks or so ago.  I would
like to hear form those guys who have done this - what would your
conditioning protocol be for this mare? What would your schedule be as well
as your goal for a first ride (time frame)? I can't WAIT to hear all the
great answers I am sure this list has waiting!

Honestly, none of our horses ever had to come back from complete down time -
even when injured. They still seemed ot have excellent base on them. This
girl has no base. Nada. Okay, lemme have it!
sandy

[Karen Sullivan]  Hi Sandy, I have one of these.  Bought a 7 year old mare last June, had been ridden slightly, basically green, had a baby, and had been in paddocks all her life. No base at all.

I did very short walking rides for a month, then sent her to Fred Emigh for two months.  He also did short rides, lots of obstacles, some hill climbing.By the way, he did a great job with this mare.

When I got her back in September, I continued to do frequent, but short rides, lots of obstacles and practice manuvering.  The more I rode her, and odd thing happened.  I got slower and slower on the rides.  I concentrated more on the obstacles, stopping and trimming trail, and having very relaxed, positive rides.  I didn't worry at all about "conditioning", since I was much more concerned with building  trust, obedience and enjoyable rides.  Nevertheless, she did muscle up some, just from all the walking.  I did a little bit of short trots, but as she still needs work on the cues to slow down to walk,I didn't do too much of that.  I rode her for 3 months solid, about every day, then she had too months off for removal of a sarcoid.

I am back to the same sort of riding, still working on basics like giving to the bit, moving forward through obstacles, different terrain, leaving other horses, etc.  I also have to mention that I am thoroughly enjoying this process with this mare.  This also is a very calm,laid back horse.

As far as rides, my "goals" are to do some camping with her this year, and a  15 mile, introduction to competitive trail in May (with my 9 year old son).  If the riding goes well, and she builds up a bit more, I hope perhaps to do a very relaxed, easy 25 mile ride mid Sept.  That will be after a year of consistent riding.

Since I have two other horses that are fit for 50's right now, and my sons horse that also needs slow conditioning, and a baby to work with, I am in no hurry with this mare.  She has such a nice disposition that I definatly do not want to ask more of her mentally or physically than she is ready for.

Hope it helps.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-