RE: RE: Phil Gardner's letter in April EN Mailbag

No pissing contest (besides, I'm upwind... <vbg>)

My main premise, which got buried in all the gobblygook, is that even if
this type of material is copyrighted/copyrightable, the true protection
envisioned under the law is unavailable to most writers, in the sense that
the average citizen cannot afford to pursue legal remedies to potential
infringement.  This is especially true where the medium is electronic and
gray areas so large.

So my point was more of a warning to the general audience - don't expect
legal protection of your material if you've only published in a forum like
Ridecamp.  You MAY ultimately be protected, but the legal fees will be quite
high and, in my opinion, a pretty big crapshoot.

The modifications to copyright law being contemplated by Congress are a far
larger threat to our "freedom" than might appear at first glance.

Emails can be traced to a certain point, the Melissa case being a good
example (although I believe the investigators got lucky).  However, proving
CONTENT ownership in an electronic forum is still nebulous regardless which
side of the ownership fence one is on.

And finally, no, being a professional instigator doesn't pay well but the
benefits are great...  :-)

Mike Sofen
Redmond, WA