Re: RC: Juniors on ERs

Stephanie,

Speaking from the perspective of having sponsored a good friend's daughter on
a few CTR's, it is a responsibility for the adult.  I had a lot of fun, but I
had a bit of a scare when Melissa, who'd been asking how much further we had
to go, dropped her helmet on the trail.  That's when I realized something was
wrong.  She was a lacrosse player & I thought was in much better shape than
me, but being a kid, she hadn't been drinking early in the ride & got
dehydrated.  Since it wasn't my kid (who would have been whining long
before), I hadn't realized that "how much further" meant "I don't feel so
good."  Fortunately, we were just a 1/2 mile from some spotters so I got her
to some transportation.  A rider who'd been pulled at the midpoint offered to
ride the horse back.  My poor friend saw her horse come into camp with a
strange rider before her daughter made it back to camp in a 4wd!
The next ride, Melissa was on a drinking schedule.  She didn't get
dehydrated, but had to make several pit stops. Fortunately she wasn't as
bashful as kids her age can be, & was ok with a large tree to hide behind!
Could you borrow a horse for yourself, especially for your daughter's first
rides?  Maybe someone has a horse that they'd like to get some conditioning
on.  She might be more comfortable with you along, especially if she is a bit
shy, rather than riding with a stranger which might turn her off to the sport.

Good luck,
Nancy
Md