Herbal Supplements

I have started my horse (a 9 yr. old arab gelding) on herbal supplements. He seems to remain under stress consistently and his hide was very dry. It was recommended to put him on a vitamin and stress relieving program. I'm adding powder herbal supplements (one teaspoon) to his grain twice a day and he is responding very nicely. His coat has drastically improved, no dryness and its shiny again. He is also less stressed out and has quit nipping at me, stands quietly while being groomed (actually seems to enjoy it now) and is minding well during riding. This is all quite a turn around for him. I was told that his negative behaviors may be stress/anxiety related and I'm beginning to believe it.

Has anyone else out there used herbal supplements? Are there any dangers to herbal supplementing horses?