Re: Fw: Fat horse

Feeding your fat boy only wheat straw *is* a bit extreme IMO---think of
trying to lose weight yourself safely.  You can lose alot of weight by
eating nothing but bean sprouts, but it's not healthy, as the body will be
raiding lean muscle mass for protein, being deprived of sufficient vitamins
and minerals, etc.  The trick is to still provide adequate protein, minerals
and vitamins, while cutting down on the energy (calories).

My suggestion would be to feed *some* good quality straw (and by this I mean
clean, not dusty, moldy or older than Methuselah) as well as some good
quality grass hay such as bermuda or oat hay.  No grain, no beet pulp or
fats, no alfalfa.  If he's 14 hands, I'm guessing his healthy lean weight is
about 850-900 pounds tops, and you should feed him a minimum of 1% of that
weight per day to maintain gut integrity---in other words, about 9 pounds a
day.  Allow for about 10% waste and that puts you at 10 pounds of forage a
day.  I'd feed about 3/4 of that as grass hay and the rest as wheat straw.
If you want, you can provide a bit more straw (not bermuda) so he has
something to at least pick at so he doesn't start chewing up fences and
things.  No more than about 14-16 pounds total forage (bermuda plus straw).

Because his nutrient intake is going to be limited, I personally would also
add a small amount of a complete vit/min mix---something like Select or
GrandVite or anything else of your choice.  You don't need anything
super-duper, just a general mix.  Something that comes in a pellet would
probably be preferable, so you can hand-feed it as a treat, as opposed to a
powder that needs to be mixed into grain or whatever.

You're right about exercise being hard for him while he's obese---not only
is all that fat a heavy insulating layer that is going to overheat him
easily, but his sweat glands are probably not well-developed, so his ability
to disperse heat is compromised for the time being.  Also, abdominal fat has
a detrimental effect on his ability to breathe during exercise, so while he
can and should exercise, keep it fairly low level until he no longers
jiggles quite so much.  Lots of walking is a good start.

Hope this gives you a start---would you mind my asking where this guy is at
the moment?  Is he in So Cal?

Susan G