The Derby Ditch Ride

Joe larkin larkinrj@wfcd.com
The Derby Ditch Blizzard Ride of 1999

We would like to share our thoughts of the Derby Ditch ride on April 3, 1999.  First of all we would like to thank the NASTR people for helping all the riders when the blizzard struck.  They were at the noon stop handing out horse blankets, warm clothing to all of us that needed it, offered to hold our horses while we went inside to warm up and handed out warm soup.  They were also trailering our horses back to base camp or giving us rides back to get our rigs.  In our opinion NASTR went above and beyond in trying to assist in helping everyone.  After everyone was out of the noon stop, NASTR people were back in camp making sure everyone had warm dry clothing for themselves and their horses.  They also were offering hay for the horses to those who were going to spend the night.

The ride was canceled and we believe that it was justified.  After riding in a whiteout for an hour or two, we were going to pull at the noon stop and get warm.  We have ridden this ride before and knew where we were at all times.  Those unfamiliar with the trail could easily miss a ribbon or been lost in the whiteout.  There are plenty of stories posted from other riders on ridecamp so we won't tell you our experiences.  What we would like to say is that through it all we managed to have a good time.  Years from now we will look back and reflect on how we survived the Derby Ditch Blizzard Ride of 1999.  We approach all endurance rides as a time to have fun.  After all, this is not our jobs.

We are not interested in a refund or a completion from the ride.  We also don't ride for miles so we are not worried about this either.  There will be a joint decision between NASTR and AERC to try and sort out the best solution for all those involved.  NASTR still has expenses and hopefully our entry fees will help in some way.  Those of us who belong to horse clubs or individuals who have put on rides realize what it takes put on a ride.

Again, we would like to thank NASTR for going above and beyond the call of duty.  It was an unfortunate situation and we believe that they handled it in a professional manner.  The old saying that "Snow Happens" was true on Saturday.  We plan to be back next year and enter in the ride on the first weekend in April, 2000.  We will never forget the Derby Ditch Ride of 1999.

Joe and Cindy Larkin

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-