EnviroHorse: 2nd Meeting: We're On Our Way!

For those of you who have not heard, Envirohorse is an all-volunteer,
not-for-profit group that is just getting started.   Organized in
December 1998 by California equine owners who are concerned about the
ever-increasing threats to the horse industry from issues related to
water quality, trails use, horse keeping, zoning, etc., Envirohorse has
leaped  from discussions and thoughts into a viable organization which
exists to provide information to equestrians in need.   Our second
meeting on 22 March 1999 got down to some necessary details, such as:

    Our Mission Statement:  (1) To provide a focal point and clearing
house  for existing and proposed horse-related  research and data to
sustain horse use on public and private lands and to address claims of
"harm;"   and (2)  To identify and attempt to get data gaps filled
through credible research.

   We have three goals:   (1)  to establish and provide a clearinghouse
for information on horses, horsekeeping, trails, and equine use;
    (2)  to facilitate filling data gaps through credible research.
Research needs are being identified (send us yours).  Researchers will be
located and requested to propose approaches and programs that will
respond to these needs.  We will try to get free academic attention to
the needs, or vested-interest funders where appropriate;
   (3)   to provide references, and to encourage others to advocate for
and educate people about horse use and impacts.

    Our initial "long list" of concerns has been narrowed to these
projects, each currently assigned to participants:
  -- non-pathogenic e.coli in water and effects on people and fauna
 --  nutrients in water
 --  thermal issues in composting
 --  non-bridge ecological stream crossings
 --  syntheses of what is known on exotic seed spread by equines
 --  environmental issues in horsekeeping
 --  decomposition rates for to horse excrement.

We have collected a number of papers and articles and have already been
able to assist people nationally on an informal basis through networking.

    Envirohorse may eventually apply for 501(c)(3) status but initially
we we will operate by subscription contributions.  It is not our
intention to make any profit.   There are no plans to hire staff.

    Since the  first meeting last December,  the news about Envirohorse
has literally flown through the equestrian world.  Responses have been
received from the length and breadth of the United States, and the
articles have been written referencing Envirohorse, all urging us to
proceed with this endeavor.

   We need to know what issues we are facing with land managers.  We need
copies of any articles and bibliographic citations that we think might be
helpful to others.  We need to know of horse research proposed or
underway, so that we can track it and include it for delivery.  We need
to start collecting websites that would be good linkage when  our own
gets on line.   We need to identify Journals from which to get articles.

 Here's contact information about Envirohorse:  email address is
envirohors@aol.com; phone 1-800-255-3774x2478 (good through 1999);  fax
no. 650-802-8654;  snailmail address:  EnviroHorse, c/o Quinn, 3027 St.
James Rd., Belmont,  CA  94002-2955.     Donations will be gratefully
received.   If a 501.c.3. is needed, please make cheques out to Marin
Horse Council, Inc., 171 Bel Marin Keyes Blvd., Novato CA   94927.    Be
sure to earmark the cheque "For Use By EnviroHorse."

To those who helped spread the initial news about Envirohorse, Thank You!
  Please keep the momentum going by sharing this latest release.   The
next meeting is set for 17 May  1999 in Livermore, California.   We have
something solid going on here!    Thank you all for your support.
Connie Berto, AERC Trails Chair and Envirohorse Charter Member

Get secure free e-mail that you don't need Web access to use
from Juno, the world's second largest online service.
Download your free software at http://www.juno.com/getit.b.html.