Starved Horses

Title: Starved Horses

Hey guys,

as the owner of a horse that was severely underweight in July last year, I really would like to read up on some of opinions, research etc that was hinted at before the issue sort of got sidetracked.   I'm still trying to get started, and all the advice, opinions I can get the better. - this thread could be really interesting and informative:-)

BTW, I'm turning my mare out for a month or two as she has a cold she has had trouble shaking, and for personal reasons I really need to turn her out for a while.  My parents (who have rehabilitated starved animals before) suggested that the reason Valkyrie had trouble shaking the cold may because of a depressed/weakened immune system due to last year's trauma.  Any opinions?

I don't think she had sufferred any worm damage during her period of neglect - she was very underweight, but not wormy - however is there a method of assessing whether a horse has sufferred worm damage in the past?

Lisa