Re: RC: Sour horse? or me?

In a message dated 3/28/99 6:47:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
aredman@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu writes:

<<   What do you think?  Spirit and I have alot of years and miles together,
but I'm at a loss as to what to do.

As a conservative, middle of the pack type (me) I kind of think top tenning
every ride is pretty fast -- not that that would necessarily make a horse go
sour!  BUT if you're concerned about his attitude, maybe you could back off
the endurance stuff for a while and just do mellow easy trail rides for a bit
(maybe go back to CTR for a while).  Also, some arena stuff is fun for them
sometimes if they're getting bored with trail.  We have a public arena near my
home and my horses seem to get a kick out of going over there and practicing
"trail" obstacles in an arena and going over small jumps.  I am a firm
believer in bribery -- I try to always bring treats with me when I go out to
catch them.  Consequently, the main problem is watching the race as they run
pell mell to see who can get to me first.  It's usually just a carrot or apple
core -- but boy do they "love" me!  Also, treats in the trailer are not to be
underestimated -- lots of goodies in there.  I find that my horses spook more
on the trails right around home and I think that's due to boredom and just
something I have to live with.  And, never underestimate the power of a good
currying -- mine just love that before and after a ride.  Lots of scratching
of all the favorite places and just plain old mutual admiration while it's
going on--seems to make for a happier attitude overall.  Good luck with your
guy, I hope you can turn the situation around.

Sylvia, Harca, Star, Chance & Copy