Emergency brake/parking on hills

>>> Steph said:  But while focusing on the
trailer brake problem, John had  failed to release the emergency brake
completely during some of our tests up and down the ranch drive, so
they sort of burned up. No problem, we just wouldn't park on any
hills :)

I had to giggle when I read this just because I've been in a similar situation.  I bought my truck from a friend the day before our annual competitions.  We didn't have time to register it that day because we had to go pick up her horse from the barn.  We figured we would be OK because the horse trailer hid the back of the truck.
After getting her horse loaded, we took off.  I mentioned to her that it seemed like it was hard to get going and she just told me to give it more gas.  We got on the freeway and about 30 minutes later someone went by us and started waving frantically.   We couldn't see any problems so decided to keep going to the next exit.  The next person along came up along side and rolled down their window and yelled that we were on fire!
We immediately pulled over and smoke was billowing out the back tires.  We were on the freeway and didn't know what to do!!  We didn't see any fire-just smoke.  The person that had gotten us to pull over came back to see if we were OK.  He asked if MAYBE the emergency brake was on.  Oh boy, were our faces red!  We had driven on the freeway for over 30 miles at 60 mph with the brake on.
I really did a number on the brakes.  What a way to start a new relationship with a truck.  To this day, my friend and I still get teased about just "giving it more gas" :))
Good luck with your new trailer Steph!
Carrie and Poco
GIARC Technologies
Web Site Designs and Innovative Products
www.giarctechnologies.com