sportsmanship, LD etc

Deena,
The ride this past weekend was great.  Megan came in first and BC, I got
second.  We always try to ride together as our horses are a good match and
it is a lot more fun that way.  We alternate which one of us crosses the
finish line first - whether we are in first and second or last - Megan's
turn this time!  Things were a little backed up at the mid-point vet check
so we both vetted horses during our hold time to help get the line under
control.  Megan is a good person to have around.
Don't want to name names as to the int. rider, but I was not impressed on 3
seperate occasions.  Just making the point that it is not just LD or new
riders who don't always watch their manners.
Didn't want to get started on the LD racing subject again but since you
asked - my friend did her first 25 in 2 1/2 hours for first place.  I did
the same ride 50 miler in 4:45, a faster pace over a longer distance.  She
was not racing.  I told her to do the ride at a good trot with some
cantering, same speed we train at home.  That is what she did and she
happened to win.  This ride she did the same thing only slightly faster.
She is now going to move up to doing moderate 50 miler with me.  I thought
the 25 miler was a good starting place for the rider (not the horse - its
been doing 50s for a year now).  She now knows how to go though the vet
checks etc and is ready to move up.  I don't like the idea of CTR so much
for my horses because they do not have very good manners.  They don't kick
or bite but they also don't stand still and they shy a lot and in general
are a bit of a pain in the b*** to ride at times but I like them that way.
So I don't think CTR would be their thing but I admit I am not that
familiar with it.  So good luck with the LD debate, this is the last you
will hear from me on it as both my horses will be doing 50s from here on.
Nicki