Fwd: RC: Newbie tack questions :)

Linda F.  I use the 1 1/2" nylon breast collar with fleece and it really
doesn't soak up much moisture from sweat or water, some but not enough to make
it sag or pull on my horse.  I live on the west coast so I guess I don't have
as much humidly as you in Florida.  I would rather use it then go through what
I did with biothane.  I have nothing against it as far as headstalls go, but
not for breastcollars for my horses.

---- Begin included message ----
Endure4fun@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/22/99 5:34:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu writes:
>
> <<
>  >I am also eyeing a nylon breast collar with the fleece
>  > lining on it.
>   >>
> I use a nylon breast collar with fleece on my mare.

Keri - I wasn't the original poster with the question - but I did happen
to reply to her.  You might want to send your post to RideCamp so she'll
get the information.

>  I tried a biothane one on
> her.    Finally figured it out
> that the biothane was cutting into her neck since it is so narrow.

The biothane comes in a variety of breast collar styles as well as
widths (3/4" (way to narrow in my mind) up to 2" wide).  We use a 1.5"
biothane configured like a hunt (english) breast collar. We always spend
a lot of time adjusting and changing things for the individual horse so
that they sit just right - it can be so tricky!  What looks great
standing in the cross ties may not work on the trail.

>Also I have found that
> biothane will rub on shoulders on my gelding.

I have one gelding who was rubbed by it too, but everyone else has done
better with it.  Something different for every horse!  For that gelding,
we went to OF neoprene breast collar with excellent results.

You said you didn't have trouble with the fleece breast collars getting
too soggy with sweat/sponging.  What part of the country do you ride
in?  I can't remember.  I'm wondering if the humidity there is different
from where we rode?  (Florida, coastal VA)

Linda Flemmer
---- End included message ----