training tapes

Linda

thanks very much for your message on the training tapes.  I look at the tapes at the store, and wonder what on earth I could do with them.  Well, until last August I did not have a VCR (slow in some technology acquisitions - after all, if I had nothing to do, I'd do it outside).  I am lax in spending time in ground work.  Broke one of my colts, the first one, really, spending lots of time with her on each step of the way.  Took my two books to the barn with me: The Schooling of the Western Horse, John Richard Young, and Breaking and Training the Stock Horse, Charles O. Williamson.  Literally read, did, read again, did.  Similar to your suggestion to view, do, view again, do again.

These are, by the way, very good text books on training, preceding the new thinking on horsemanship.  It seems to me that good horsemanship has always been to work with the horse's own motivations and proclivities, not by using force.  (I ride western, even when endurance riding.  It's what I am comfortable with, and my horses are all cutting bred endurance QHs!)

Anyway, I'll look into renting the videos for the tack shop, if available.  Now I know what to ask for this Christmas from my brother!!

thanks again.