RC: Trails..comments from a geographer...

<snip>from 3/17
I am glad that there are "watchdog" groups like many of the more
moderate Sierra Club chapters out there, as one pack staion comes to
mind about breaking all the rules about wilderness use (yup, and they're
still in business today :-<  ).  If you can't please everyone, any
suggestions on how to make 'em at least "friendly"?

Kim (and Lee)
<snip>

Hi Kim,

I think you wrote an excellent letter.  My answer to you is to keep think'in
the way your are writing, on both sides of the issue, and state the facts.
I don't comment on trails with this list much, I hate to be stereotyped and
don't agree with the extremes of either side.  I have hiked much of the High
Sierras though, on horse/mule trails and just hiking trails....they are my
true home and where I love to be the most.  I am so sadden by the state of
our country's parklands as they are force to deal with issues of decreasing
money, more people, more bureaucracy.  So I'll give just a few thoughts on
the horse/mule use.

Only once have I been on a heavily used mule trail where I felt it really
was inappropriate.  Sunrise Lake at Lake Tenaya over Tiago Pass that goes
straight up to the high elevations of Yosemite.  Single trail, granite, and
deep, deep mule feet holes.  When the mules passed us we had nowhere to go,
dust stayed thick in our lungs, man it stank.  Coming down at the end I
twisted the ligaments in my leg from one of the holes, it was a tough
switchback no matter what, and I ended up on crutches for six weeks.  But
that is the only place.

Each region, elevation, climate & micro-climate are different and it is hard
to determine what is right for the whole.  Then there are those who believe
always in the rights of people over nature, and if nature wins out by not
allowing people.well...that just cannot be.  But how scary it is to see the
change everywhere in such a short time....10-20 years.  Go to Zion, Arches,
Tuolumne Meadows..everywhere and if you can..compare to a short time ago.
It is out of control....

Thank you for sharing with us.  Communication will always be the key..

Kimberly..."the geographer speaking now..& no I don't do rocks<g>"
& Mystery the Morab.."I'll fertilize the flowers for ya!...can I eat that
one?"
Pt.Reyes CA