LD

I've read all of this discussion with interest, and have come to the
conclusion that AERC seems to be doing the wise thing by allowing
individual managers to decide on placings.  I didn't realize there was
so much trouble elsewhere.  Our group, the Arabian Horse Association of
Ohio, sanctions CTR under our own rules (open to any breed, just under a
parent organization). We also sanction endurance/LD rides that are
already sanctioned by AERC.  It is common practice here to give Top 5 on
the LD, which I really think is a good idea for our area.  It gives a
feeling of accomplishment above and beyond personal satisfaction for a
job well done.  And with the exception of the occasional ya-hoo that
acts like the horse is a machine, we don't have LD riders racing to beat
the other horses, just riding at a reasonable speed and if they place
that's great too.  My gelding did 2 25-mile LD rides one weekend last
Sept (with a lightweight rider; I worked and let him have it easier),
and it was a very tough trail!  The toughest on our circuit and we have
a few dooseys!  The 2nd day he placed 5th, and while the rider wasn't
pushing him, that was the pace he felt comfortable at (he's a pro;this
is his 10th year).  I will say to do that on that 25 pleased me.  Not
that I would have cared for him any less if he didn't, but I enjoyed the
recognition.  It was tough and he worked hard!  (Experienced 50-mile
horses were having trouble finishing 25 miles on this trail!)  But since
I see that we are fortunate here to not have some of the problems I've
seen elsewhere, I must say I can understand why AERC believes it would
be a bad idea to place the LD on a regional and national level.  My
advice to ride managers, however, is that if you dont't have problems
with racing in your area, please consider rewarding the LD riders.  It
may not be real endurance, but it's still work and they appreciate it!
Mickie