entry dinner fees

I think we need a new topic to discuss, something I'm sure we all, LD's and
longer mileage riders, have had to deal with at one time or another.  The fees
charged by ride management for our dinners.  On the entries is an amount for
extra dinner tickets.  How many times have you finished a ride to find out
that there is only a little old salad left and some bread.  Is this what we
are paying anywhere from $10. to $15. for?  I think it Should be our choice if
we want to pay for dinner or not.  I know some people leave right after the
ride for one reason or another, others finish ride on the clock, others just
don't want to eat.  I think if I decide not to purchase dinner ticket with my
entry and then after ride I want to eat I can buy a ticket then.  If there
isn't enough food, that is my problem, at least I haven't put the money out
for something that isn't there!
California rides are notorious for running out of food or over selling the
tickets for amount of food provided!  I have been to some Nevada rides where
ride management knows, yes actually knows, how many riders are still out on
the trail and will fix plates of food for them so when they do get in, at
least there is food waiting for them!
With the cost of entries going up, gas, and other costs involved in getting to
a ride I think it would be nice if it were the riders choice to pay for dinner
ticket at time of entry.  The cost is known as it is posted for extra dinner
tickets so we could just deduct that amount from entry fees and when we send
it in management could put a note on rider packet, "no dinner ticket,"
doesn't this sound like a good idea?  It involves EVERYONE who does rides.
Keri