Re: RC: Cruppers and breaching....

>Why mess with a good thing? Cruppers are great.  It looks more
>uncomfortable than it is.  I haven't had a horse yet that minded.

Wanna buy a mare? {just kidding, of course}
I have a mare that minds it very much. I thought it was such a good idea for
those steep mountains back in N.Cal. {before the move East, then South to
Texas where the biggest mountain is the manure pile} so I tried it. Ever
seen a submissive dog with it's tail tucked so far between its legs that it
walks like a duck? This is *loose* mind you. I tried to give her a bit of
time for adjustment...did some longing. It was quite the spectacle. Walking
and trotting were little more than a waddle with the occasional petite mal
seizure and a tail that apparantly relocated to grow out of her udder. The
slightly increased pressure and movement at a canter brought out a
full-fledged bucking spell. This mare is not even a happy-bucker and has had
her hind legs caught in wire along the trail without even a tiny buck. She
is excellent under saddle and has adjusted to any new ideas I try with this
one exception. I am sure that with a some time she would have adjusted, but
it just wasn't worth it, in this particular case.
On the other side, another mare I have is completely oblivious and couldn't
care less. But as a rule, I haven't found that I needed the crupper for
either mare - and don't expect I'll need to especially in the region I'm in
now...seems terribly flat around here. If I were training for a rigorous
mountain ride I would most certainly be training with the crupper - until
they grow mountains here in east Texas, or I become independently wealthy
and can ride whenever and wherever I choose, I think we'll be alright.

I like horses....it's their people I can't stand....