non-member fees

>If I went into a grocery store to buy a loaf of bread, and the sign
>said "Bread:  $2.00, non-members $.50 extra," I know exactly what I'd
>do.  I'd leave and go down the street to another store to buy my
>bread.

This statement describes a co-op (yes, Costco, etc.)  Isn't AERC an association by and for the members?  In essence, a co-op?  If non-members want to participate, they have a slightly higher fee to encourage them to join up.  You don't have to ride an AERC ride in order to ride 50 miles, but you do if you want to ride one of "our" rides.  You're perfectly welcome to put on your own if you so desire.  I'm not sure why people have the idea that AERC rides are completely public, like the March of Dimes Walk a Thon.  Do you think you could go to a swim club and swim in their meets if you didn't belong to the club?  Can you waltz into the country club and play their course without membership?  I'll bet you'd have to pay extra!  AERC is a club, an organization with membership and fees.  So if you want to play with us, you have to join up or pay to play.  This is not the same as covering the cost of the ride which is what the ride entry fee does