Re: RC: LD, Racing & Dogs in or out of camp

I have to step in and comment on this one.  I will also reply to Rex
directly. First of all, Rex, you sound like a distance runner from your
email handle.  Your focus is going fast forward.  If that is your only
goal, why not try it on a track rather than on the trail?

There is a difference in a fast race, such as a racetrack, and the long
distance rider.  The 25 mile endurance was begun as a starter, or novice
ride, to build up to the real, "endurance" ride.

The endurance rider may be in a so called race, but included in this is the
idea of enduring for the distance of the ride, the ultimate is 100 miles.

Your suggestion of going as fast as you can for 25 miles make me wonder if
you really know your horse - or the purpose of going as fast as you can for
a mere 25 miles.  It doesn't prove anything - not in an endurance race.
To prove you have, or your horse has been conditioned for ENDURANCE takes
more than that.
We pleasure ride 25 miles.  That is a pleasure ride distance that most of
us do in the mountains for fun in the good weather.

The endurance rider has a focus on much more than that.  Like, a
partnership with the horse, traveling over many different terrains, rocky,
wet, slippery, steep, muddy, asphalt, sand.  Taking these obstacles as a
team - safely to win.  Win?  Sometimes winning is to finish. Sometimes to
know your horse did it in the best condition. Always to come through
acheiving a goal - not for the world, but for the inside of you. The
average speed taken on an average of the whole on an endurance ride doesn't
net out to be extremely fast.

The NATRC competitive rides allow 25 to 30 miles because they are not a
race nor do they go "fast" -
A trot is about all  they do.  It is to produce a superior horse, condition
and partnership.  To learn how to rate a horse.

You might try something like that to learn.

As for taking a dog along, please check with your vet. That is a killer for
a dog to do that much running.  I don't see Ridecampers as anti dog as they
are considering the well being and comfort of the dog and consideration of
the people.  Everybody loves their own dog, but even my perfect pets can be
annoying to others.
I hope this helps give you another perspective. I didn't mean it to be
bashing.

At 10:50 PM 3/9/99 -0800, you wrote:

>PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
>You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>
>From: Rex Mercury
>Email: Runns2farr@aol.com
>
>I'm planning on "racing" my next 25 miler in a couple of weeks.  I have
been training for this for months.  I plan on going as fast as I can for
the entire 25 miles.  I have practiced on the trails by my home for the
upcoming race.  My horse is really fit and ready for this!!  What is wrong
with this if my horse is able to do it?
>     The question I have is about my dog.  I take my dog on  training
rides with me every day.  He also is very fit. So why can't he run with us
at the race?  He is really well trained -besides I plan on being in front
so he won't bother any other horses.  He won't get any placings or
acknowledgement either.  At least for him "to finish is to win"