LD, competitiveness, juniors, etc

Just a few disjointed thoughts......I keep reminding myself we ride for fun and knowledge.  What directed me into endurance was owning a horse that encouraged distance riding (needed to go up a lot of hills!). and the fact that so many people were interested in learning about equine metabolism and conditioning......as an adult, the whole issue of competiveness seems somewhat distasteful, though I can see how easy it would be to get caught up in it!

I have one daughter that has done 2 fifties, and a son who may introduced to the sport this year.  My goals for the kids are to learn that we are there to have a fun ride, and that there is more pride in finishing the ride with a horse in good condition than placings.  At one ride last year, my daugher got really excited because she briefly was in front for first junior in. We had a goal of finishing the ride on her horse,with a sound horse, as her mare had been slowly brought back from hitting the splint bone.  About 3/4 through the ride,another family with juniors passed us; their horses looking tired, and thekids whining.  They were determined to keep ahead of us, even though we vetted out sooner.  To make a long story short, I think we could have raced them and passed, but I could also see us all going faster and faster....my daughter and I decided to let them get well out of sight ahead and go our own pace.  Of course, they came in first, vetted in, loaded the horses and immediately left (after doing a 50!)  Didn't even stay for the awards, or to let the poor horses rest.  In comparison, our horses, who didn't seem at all tired, spent the afternoon drinking gallons and gallons of water.....we learned a great lesson from all this, and were BOTH REALLY glad we had ridden our own race.  It was a great experience, but it was sure hard not to get caught up in the competitiveness.....

I hope to take my 9 year old son on a limited distance ride next fall.  He has a new horse; and I have a young one, so my goal will be to finish a 25 with both horses fit, and have it be fun for him,and a positive experience. On the other hand, this will be a LONG ride for him, and require all kinds of horse care, so I "hope" the juniors on the 25 will get SOME kind of recognition!  I could care less how I come in, or what I get, but I would certainly support some extra recognition for juniors on both limited distance and endurance rides.

I also believe that juniors should not ride free, but it is nice to have a discount, and I will certainly make more effort to go to rides, that have a junior discount, or special awards.

Karen, Brenna (11) and Connor (9) and current herd:

Ashley-Arab, 15
Chancy-Arab/walker, 11
Breeze-Arab, 7
Wishes-Morab-11