Re: RC: electrolyes to make a horse drink

guest@endurance.net wrote:

> I need info from anyone out there (Susan, Heidi, Truman?) who can
> SCIENTIFICALLY explain why you
> shouldn't force electrolytes on a  horse to try and make him drink.
>  Someone has
> just posted a reply that says you
> SHOULD give electrolytes to a
> horse to try to make him want to drink, (she believes that to trigger thirst response, the horse should have electrolytes added and then he'll drink to balance the ratio). I learned from ride camp
> (and in Dr. Loving's book maybe? can't remember) that that's not a good idea,
> but I need the WHY'S so I can reply.  Also, please tell me if I'm remembering my info wrong!

Kristi: If you drive in a lifeboot across the ocean, suffering thirst, would you drink sea water ?
Why not ? The ocean is full of it. Because sea water is not ISOTONIC. If you drink it, water will flow out off the cells and cell spaces, to the salt water. It's a matter of chemistry, you can't do
anything about it. That causes the cells, in presence of the water, to starve, cease their function, and at last, die.
The same happens if you give electrolytes to a dehydrated horse without water. ready-to-use-electrlytes are a lot more concentrated than sea water. If the horse drinks afterwards, that may be OK. If
it drinks not, you'll catch serious trouble. If the horse is dehydrated severly, there is one way to give him electrolytes safely: together with water, in a isotonic mix, intravenously or per stomach
tube.
There is a way to drink sea water safely: if you mix it with a big amount of clear water, or reduce the salt content of it.

So don't give electrolytes to a horse that hasn't drunk.

have a nice ride,

Frank Mechelhoff
(Germany)