Re: RC: I'm a insecure Newbie

Peggy,

Go for it!!!  On my first 15 mile CTR my dear hubby re-tied Farafix to the
trailer with too long of a line, which the horse stepped over & got a nasty
rope burn, after I'd vetted in.  Someone cut the horse loose from the trailer
as the announcer lectured us on the benefits of slip knots --- & I chased my
now loose gelding thru the camp muttering not so nice things about hubby.  The
rope burn hadn't done any real damange, so I decided to go ahead & ride.  As I
was released to go out on trail my knees were shaking, even tho my mind was
saying, this is ridiculous!  I've spoken extemporaneously to large groups &
I'm nervous about a little 15 mi ride?!?!?
We got thru the ride in good shape (other than the rope burn which cost
points).  It was a beautiful, scenic ride, nice day.  I've met a lot of
interesting, helpful people over the yrs & learned a lot about feeding,
shoeing, saddles, riding technique, trailering, etc., etc.
I've ridden across the top of mountains, across the Shenendoah in the early
morning mist, thru the snow, in the rain (that I could have skipped).  My
horses have taken me to places & levels of accomplishment I never thought of
when I started.  It's been an adventure.
Ride your horse the number of miles in a week that you want to ride in a
competition.  Ride 25 miles a week if you want to do a 25.  Best advise I got
from Jerry Shelton, who kindly told me that as I pestered him at the 50 mile
hold of the Old Dominion.  I was such a jerk I didn't realize then what a
nuisance I was, but he was very kind to give me advice when he had lots of
other things to think of (that I can now appreciate!!)

Take care of your horse & it will take care of you.  Have fun.  Hope to see
you out on the trails someday!

Nancy
Md
Farafix, Kadance+/, & Tempo (over 4000 fun miles combined)