trainers for young horse

I could use some productive input on what to do with my young horse.  As
most of you know by now, I'm starting my DVM/Ph.D degree at Colorado State
this coming fall and won't have time to devote to conditioning or training
for several years.  Cato is more or less getting retired and I'm looking for
a place for the broodmare.

My young Karahty gelding is now three and while I don't want him
"conditioned" by any stretch of the imagination, I would like him to start
learning something at this age.  I don't plan on starting him in endurance
until after I graduate---in the meantime, I'd like him to spend time
learning flexibility, leg aids, all the basics, plus ideally being
well-introduced to goblins on the trail and so forth.  Dressage work would
be outstanding.  In a few years, I'll send him to someone to put on some
LSD, so when I finish my degree, he should be ready to start serious
conditioning.  Above all, I need him to be with someone that uses natural
horsemanship techniques so Dakota's good temperament isn't ruined by forcing
him into anything he doesn't understand.

At the moment, Dakota is with a trainer from Cal Poly who is very good with
him and is doing very well, BUT---at his barn, Dakota has to live in a 12 x
12 box stall most of the time.  He gets some turnout in a small arena and is
worked ground driving for about a half hour a day.  That's okay (I guess)
for a short-term situation, but I'm not wild about the idea of a future
distance horse living in a stall for several years if I can avoid it.  I
just have my doubts that it won't eventually get him neurotic or cause
gastric ulcers, etc., and since he's now such a honest pleasure to be
around, I want to preserve that mindset.  I'm not saying stallbound horses
are invariably idiots, I would just rather avoid it if possible.

So does anyone have any recommendations for training programs where he
doesn't have to live in a small stall and that will turn out a smart,
experienced, balanced young horse---ready to start his LSD in a few years?
Somewhere in the western states somewhere is preferable, so I can at least
visit him during the summer.  One friend has mentioned the Outward Bound
program at Phase II.

Anybody else have any suggestions for training programs?

Thanks in advance,

Susan Garlinghouse