LD Intentions

Maggie Mieske wrote:

> I am thinking perhaps Rex's post was sort of a hoax

Oh yeah!  It was carefully written to push ALL of ridecamp's butons,
wasn't it?  :-)

If
> you're going to judge us, at least judge us on our individual merits
> instead of stereotyping us into this "racing" mass of fools!

The problem with AERC NOT taking action to limit racing on LD rides is
injury to the horses who can't speak for themselves.  It isn't aimed at
the educated LD rider but rather its aimed at the occasional "Yahoo
Rider" who wants to come out and prove something.  They aren't educated
about distance riding, their don't "baby their horses", "who needs to
condition?", etc.  Their horses would suffer if rules didn't inhibit the
riders.  Their horses, unfortunately, don't have a say in things.  IMO,
AERC did a wise thing to protect the sport from this.  If the public
picked up on one horse death associated with this, it would give all
endurance riders a bad name.  We can't say "You're new & fit the
stereotype of a "Yahoo Rider", so these are your special rules".  The
rules have to apply across the board to all the competitors.  If you
want to ride at the entry level, that's what you're stuck with.

Even after the pre-ride meetings that emphasize finishing over racing,
some folks just don't get it.  Some time ago, two local "yahoo riders"
from where I used to live came to a LD ride I helped out.  They galloped
into the midpoint and spent over an hour recovering their horses.  They
were cautioned to go easy when they went back out on the trail, but
again they came in 2nd and 3rd over the finish line.  As they walked
around crowing over their "near win" over "real" riders, one horse
dropped and was treated for metabolic problems.  The other horse never
did recover to parameters in the 60 minutes given them.  Later that
night, it had colic and was treated.  Neither owner seemed to realize
that it was connected with racing beyond their horses' abilities.  I see
more riders like this at this entry level than I like.

Since LD is the entry level for the sport, it needs to be presented as a
"No racing" level of competition.  When I do LD with a new horse (or
injury comeback, or lack of training time, etc.), sure I'm proud if we
did well compared to everyone else.  It's only natural.  Do I expect a
placing?  NO!  It would be nice, but I don't expect it.  Do I want to
stand for BC?  You bet! - but it isn't offered very often around here.
Do I feel like less of a rider for not doing 50+ miles?  No.  Did I do
endurance?  By definition of the sport, NO!  I did LD.  Did I endure?
Maybe, depending on my fitness level, but that doesn't change the
official definition of endurance from the sanctioning body.  The
committment to do 50-100 miles is very different fromthe committment
needed to do 25.  It's like comparing apples and oranges.

What do I expect from a LD ride?  A well marked trail.  Good vet
evaluations (and sometimes pointers and advice).  A chance to meet
friends and make new ones.  A family camp out.  New scenery.  A chance
to swap tall tales.  A sound, eager horse at the finish.

Is it back-sliding to do LD after riding endurance?  No, I don't think
so.  I choose to ride what fits for me & my horse at any given time.
(Besides, I like the idea of sitting in a lounge chair, sipping iced tea
as the 50 or 100 milers come over the line.  They deserve a cheering
squad!)  :-)

Linda Flemmer