Re: RC: who pays?

Joe,

>If I did have a ride, I'd raise *everyone's* fee five dollars, not
>charge non-members a dime more than members, and pay the non-member
>fees out of ride revenue.  That to me would be more fair, with
>everyone paying the same and no one being singled out for extra money.

I am not sure how much money AERC is making on the non-member fee for
endurance riders, at least in this area of PS.  Last year, my ride had 59
starters on the 50 and everyone was a member, so AERC made bupkis.

I don't think members should have to subsidize non-members, and neither
should I have to as an RM if the fee goes to AERC.  Guess I think that a
low (like $5) non-member fee is valid, and should be earmarked for a
particular AERC fund or project, like trails, not just end up in the
general income category.

>To me the most unfair aspect of the current structure is that the LD
>riders are being charged the same high non-member fee as the endurance
>riders, even though they are getting less.  I know of no ride that
>charges the same entry fee for LD and endurance distances.

How are the LDers getting "less", Joe?  If, as mentioned in your next
paragraph, nobody is getting nuttin' from AERC in the way of
services/bookkeeping, etc. due to special handling for non-members?

>Getting less, that is, from the ride itself.  The non-members get
>*nothing* from AERC for that money (the sanction fee has already
>covered the bookeeping costs).  The rides and the trails would still
>be there if the AERC didn't exist.  Hell, we might have more rides ...
>I know of rides that are not being held due to the high non-member
>fees.

Especially since their miles aren't recorded, except for the new policy
about if they join that calendar year, they don't have to pay for research.

feed the riders and horses all day plus pay a $1200 base camp fee (not
counting porta-potties) if only 100 riders show up, our expenses may be
higher.

Lynne
Norco Riverdance Ride 9/4/99 (PS)