Re: RC: who pays?

On Mon, 08 Mar 1999 20:21:57 -0800, Lauren & Allan Horn
<4horn@home.com> wrote:

>I've said it before and I'll say it again. Raise your ride fee $10
>across the board with AERC members getting a $10. DISCOUNT. That way,
>the non-members won't feel they are paying an extra fee. Even though it
>is the same, the wording makes it feel different and that might just
>make a difference.

No, that's just smoke and mirrors and basically is a lie.  Most people
will see right through it.  It just makes the fee even more onerous
(at least to some of us).

If I did have a ride, I'd raise *everyone's* fee five dollars, not
charge non-members a dime more than members, and pay the non-member
fees out of ride revenue.  That to me would be more fair, with
everyone paying the same and no one being singled out for extra money.

To me the most unfair aspect of the current structure is that the LD
riders are being charged the same high non-member fee as the endurance
riders, even though they are getting less.  I know of no ride that
charges the same entry fee for LD and endurance distances.

Getting less, that is, from the ride itself.  The non-members get
*nothing* from AERC for that money (the sanction fee has already
covered the bookeeping costs).  The rides and the trails would still
be there if the AERC didn't exist.  Hell, we might have more rides ...
I know of rides that are not being held due to the high non-member
fees.

I don't like to come across as knocking the AERC -- I've been a proud
supporter of the organization for over 20 years.  But I'm someone who
when a friend is wrong, will say so.  The AERC provides a great deal
of valuable services -- TO ITS MEMBERS.  They pay dues for that, as is
proper.  Non-member riders, especially non-member LD riders, DO NOT
receive those services and should not be forced to pay for them.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net