Pain Can Be A Good Thing...

  In my experience, pain after honest exertion is natural and not inherently a
"bad" thing.  It seems to me the best remedy for pain honestly "earned" is
rest.  Natural.
   "Injury" due to overexertion can be extremely subtle and no more than a
weakening of structural supports which, if exerted too soon after
inflammation, will break down.  Pathological causes for pain require (for the
most part) someone who has trained to rx those things.
    If bute or banamine is applied "routinely" after exertion, that "buddy"
you're trying to make comfortable may just pay a greater price for your
concern down the road.
    Yes, well-conditioned horses even experience "pain" after exertion.  Just
give them  a chance to deal with it.  Pain, IN SOME INSTANCES, is just
nature's way of telling us to wait a bit before loosing our ambitions on our
horses.
    Too often I have heard a rider say, "You know, he seemed a little off
after last weekend, but after I gave him a little bute (banamine) he was
"perfect""...
     Back on my head,
          Frank.