RE: Pain Releif in Hard Rides

I do not know if this applies to the use of pain killers in horses but I just want to mention something dealing with there use in people(from someone who hurts themself often).  You are correct in saying that imediate use can mask a problem you are yet aware of, but the one thing that I see that is good(in people anyway) is that you can work out some soreness, knots, and tightness, by being able to move and do your normal activities without the pain.  If your arm hurts like mad to lift it what do you do?  You do not lift it.  This usually causes more stiffness and sometimes more soreness.  With pain killers you can use the arm, stretch out the muscle, and get back into shape.

Please tell me your opinion on this towards the horses.

One other note, personally I do not think it is a bad idea for the pain killers if the horse is going back home to frolic in its normal pasture and such, but if the horse is supposed to be on another ride that is a different story.  I would want to wait until there is no sign of problems well off the pain killers before another ride would be atempted.