Clipping on the fly

The rachet style clippers are designed to take more than one squeeze -
if the branch is fat.  Most stuff that we clip on the fly only takes one
squeeze so it is not any different than using the spring style of
clipper.

Regarding a catch string on the clippers, I've used a piece of rawhide
shoelace (a really long one) and have loosely tied it to a D-ring and to
the clippers.  I have found that these laces break real easily if
stressed.  Admittedly, after this discussion on Ridecamp I am having
second thoughts about the safety of doing this.

Sally Aungier