Re: Wilderness Act?

Jan Mutchler wrote:

> Hi Lynette:  If you can't have your ride at the Badlands (which would be a
> really neat ride!), what about the Peace Garden area?  It would be fun to
> have a ride that criss-crossed the boundary between Canada and the U.S.
> Would that be impossible?

Yes, it would be fun but their are only certain spots in the border that
you can cross over to the other country and you have to go through
customs. And in order to get through customs it is quite an ordeal to
get a horse through, and costly.  You are not allowed to go across on
any back roads or country, although people do it, you just don't want to
get caught.  So I don't think that they would allow it.

I remember years ago there was a cross country
> course at the Peace Gardens, and I think a barn and outdoor arena.  Don't
> know what's there now.

It is still there, it is called the Cross Roads Ranch. Lots of trails
and lots of trees on rolling hills. Beautiful country, we go riding
there a lot and it is a lot closer to me. But it is pretty remote. I
figured that we would probably get a better turn out at the Badlands.

 Also, don't several ranchers own land "in the
> Badlands"?  Just wondering if there is some way to get around the park
> problem.

We are looking into that. Teresa check the web site for the Little
Missouri Grasslands which is part of the Badlands, and it looks like it
is managed by the Forest Service. The state just got done putting a 120
mile trail through there with camping areas every 20 miles. It is just
for horses, bikes and hikers. Hopefully it is not part of the wilderness
area of the park. And the problems continue........

Why is it that when ever you try and organize something, there is
nothing but problems and roadblocks. Why can't it run smoothly, just for
a little while?
;-)

Lynette
PS Jan, if we pull this ride off in the Badlands, are you coming? It
will be cooler here in August. :-)