Re: beet pulp and hay

On the contrary, I think it important to continue feeding beet pulp on a regular
basis.  During cold weather is good but we never know what stresses may trigger
a bout of colic and if a couple of pounds of beet pulp might help ward it off,
why not?  I also feed oil and adjust it as needed... I give everybody a couple
squirts to keep them used to it and those that need that kickstart for weight
gain or maintenance get much more (1-2 cups a day).  My ag teacher always said
"The eye of the master fattens the calf" and so it is important to tailor your
feed program for individual animals (whatever species!) and adjust it more or
less as needed.  That's just my 2 cents and I guess I feel safer feeding beet
pulp regularly... we lost a mare who colicked last winter so I guess I'm on the
extra cautious side!
Maggie in blizzardy Michigan and her horses who would rather stand with their
tails to the wind and snow than come into the shelter!!