Re: Endurance and Dressage

Hey Cheryl,

This is my experience with combining dressage and endurance.  A year or
so after I got Cato, we badly needed to address some control issues and
I went into full training with Heather Bender.  Cato got schooled by the
trainer three days a week, I had a lesson on him three times a week and
he was long-lined once.  After the initial schooling, Heather would
start sending me out onto the trail after our lesson to practice what
we'd just been doing in the ring---bending, stretching, shoulder-ins,
etc.  Lots and lots of circles and bends around bushes and trees and
things.  They weren't high mileage trail rides but still hard work for
both of us.  After six months, we entered the Sunland 25, which started
right there at the equestrian center.  My instructions were that I could
go as fast as I liked, as long as Cato stayed soft, round, obedient and
under control (and his HR stayed within bounds).  Even the 25 at Sunland
is pretty tough, lots of elevation, and we did it in about 3 hours,
looking really good at the finish and easily capable of going on.
Cato's HR never hit 200 even cantering up some pretty steep grades
carrying a Hwt rider, and his recoveries were super.  This is NOT about
going fast at an LD, just an indication that you can keep a horse
reasonably fit doing ringwork, with just a little aerobic work on top.
Cato went right to doing fifties and finished a 50 mile ride almost
every weekend throughout the spring.

Anyway, I think dressage is a terrific way to keep your horse working
during the off-season.  Just my own experiences, your mileage may vary.

Susan G