Re: The Nature Conservancy

>   If I may step into what may prove to be a mudslinging match...I've been a
> member of The Nature Conservancy for years. Not as many years as I've been a
> horseman, but years nevertheless.

I'm interested in this topic, because I have been impressed with what
little I know of the NC's activities in this area, and had thought of
joining.  Now, I have a few questions for you:

> member, I am allowed access to the land. Instead of vilifying the Conservancy,
> why don't you become a member, and enjoy the access, too?  It costs, what,

Is it the policy of the NC, then, that only their members have access to
any and all of their land?  Do they open any up for public access?  If I
join the NC, will I be able to ride Lakota on the land they own in this
area?

> I ride my horse on Nature Conservancy land..the only concession I've made is
> that my horse is barefoot. A barefoot horse doesn't tear up the land like one
> with shoes, though, personally, I don't think there's much damage done by shod
> horses.

Hmmm, that's a pretty big concession to me, because my horse needs shoes
to do any real distance.  In fact, that's prohibitive for us.  Is that a
requirement, then, across the board, for riding on NC land? I wouldn't be
able to ride my horse on any NC land, even if I join, because he doesn't
do well without shoes?

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310