RE: Pain Releif in Hard Rides

On Sunday, January 03, 1999 4:17 PM, CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com
[SMTP:CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com] wrote:
> In a message dated 1/3/99 3:05:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
4horn@home.com
> writes:
>
> << How common is it for people to give their horses bute after a long,
hard
>  ride just to make the horse more comfortable and less stiff; NOT to
>  mask  injuries? I know I take Motrin after a long, hard ride, so I am
>  more comfortable (I sleep better when my lower back is not tight). I
>  have only seen one person doing this and he said he did it for the above
>  reason. Is there a better medicine then bute to use for general muscle
>  releif? >>

I personally would not give bute after a ride.  It may mask something that
needs your attention right away.  Plus I want to see how he is the next day
without any pain killers, so that I can determine if I road that ride too
hard, could of gone faster, if he recovered great, etc... If you are
worried about stiffness walk him a few times that evening and the next
morning before you go home.

                                  Cheryl Newbanks
~~~           ~~ ^ ^        SW Region
~~~\      _ ~~/ /\ /        Buckeye, AZ