Carbo loading products

>I'd like to know Ridecampers' experiences with carbo loaders...pro's and
>con's of various products (Carbocharge, Pro Burst, etc.).
>
>Thanks for any and all info.

Hi Cindy:

You probably won't get a lot of response.  Most people on RC are no longer
willing to post on subjects such as this because they get flamed.

I, on the other hand, have the word "Idiot" written over my Delete button,
so have no problem with getting flamed <vbg>.

I've been using the carbo powder for awhile now....at least 2,000 miles
between the two horses.  I'm currently using "Carbo-Charge", made by
Vita-Flex.  You can order it from Tom Ivers <Tivers@aol.com>, or thru your
local feed store (if they carry Vita Flex Products).

My advice - don't follow the directions on the label.  Isn't that a nice
way to start - get something new and don't do what it says to.  Ha!  Anyway
- start out conservatively and work your way up from there.  Don't use this
product on a horse that is just beginning endurance.  Give yourself some
time to learn the horse first.  You need to know what is normal for the
horse.  This isn't the kind of product that your horse 'needs' to have to
do endurance with.  (and it's certainly nothing you need to use for riding
LD)

I began with using 2 ounce doses.  Fits nicely in a syringe.  I mixe it up
in a blender, making it a little thinner to start with.  When it thickens
up, or gets cold you won't be able to get it out of the syringe if you
don't make it thinner to start with.  It takes some practice.  Then, I
would give a dose every two hours during the ride.  I syringe the horses
from their backs, so stopping right on schedule each time is not an
inconvenience.  It usually works out to where I give two carbo doses to one
electrolyte dose - depending upon how I'm riding.  This past year I rode
mostly conservatively at a consistant, steady pace - just going for
completion.

I wouldn't recommend pre-loading.  Most endurance horses certainly don't
need ANY extra energy the start!  I also continue to give the carbo after a
ride - for a day or two (for a multiday or 100) - usually I am just using
up what is left over from my mix (I store it in a tupperware in the cooler).

The main benefits I have noticed are that the horses seem to hold and
maintain their weight quite well.  They have a steady energy supply.
Neither of my horses like to eat a lot of grain - they mostly go for lots
of hay, with a little nibbling on LMF, Purina Complete Advantage, or a
mash.  I also feel that that by giving the carbo via syringe it is less
upsetting to them than if they were to be eating large grain meals during
competition.  My horses diets are very basic - timothy grass hay, 7-8%
protein, LMF endurance ener-G, Optamax Probiotic, and Select Vitamin E/SE
supplement...oh...and beet pulp.  At rides I will give them a little wheat
bran mixed up with some sort of COB mix - but don't like to give much in
the way of bran--I like beet pulp better.  I always soak it for several
hours first.  Neither horse will barely touch it at/during a ride though.

Oh yeah...and I have done some testing with a glucosometer to measure the
horses blood sugar levels during competition.  Using the carbos keeps those
levels more constant and steady.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville