keepin it loose...question

ok, this one is endurance related!

I don't feed Mystery bran.  I only see him a few times a week and am
afraid of stomach upset.   His stools do get pretty dry during a  ride.
Last ride he really needed to poop and made the effort during the trots
but could not until he was stopped and rested a little, and
re-hydrated.  I think in this format some bran may be in order but am
unsure.  Should I give him some the day before?  Could this upset him as
he isn't use to it?  Some articles I've read state bran actually causes
a mild colic.

So whats the scoop, poop?
Thanks!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)