Re: Nutrition Questions

<<Subject: Re: Nutrition

> Second question being has anyone used the product called Natural
Glo.It
> would be used for trying to put some weight on a horse. It is a rice
> bran mixture with a fat content of 20%, sounds like it could be a good
> product for putting the pounds on a horse that needs it. Please let me
> know if anyone has used this and with what results.
Rather than inflict my diatribes on everyone else yet again regarding
rice bran, go to the EnduranceNet website (www.endurance.net), follow
the links to Fun Stuff, then Stories and Articles, then "Calcium,
Phosphorus and Rice Bran".  It should give you enough information for
you to realize that rice bran is not all that great a solution to
putting weight onto a horse.Hope this helps,
Susan Garlinghouse, MS
Equine Research Center
California State Polytechnic University
------------------------------>>

Hi Susan,

I read your "Calcium, Phosphorus and Rice Bran".  Now I have questions.

I have a mare that foundered about 9 months ago, apparently due to
being chronically overweight.  Her diet/meds/shoes have her now sound
& off of medication. Well, now my "easy keeper" is a virtual walking
skeleton.  She has been taken off of alfalfa on vet's orders & is fed
oat hay -- which she thinks makes better bedding than food.  My vet
recommended Natural Glo for putting a bit of weight back on her
(before someone reports her as starving!).  She's been eating it for
about a month & loves the stuff.  I also started feeding her some O&M.
 But, now you've got me wondering about that Natural Glo...

What should I be feeding her to get weight back on her w/o risking her
health?  Should I just feed her the oat hay plus O&M?  Or is there a
good Ca suppliment to offset the phosphorus in the rice bran?  What
about beet pulp?

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.  Thank you,
-Nicole

PS: I'm a senior at Cal Poly in Equine & CIS, but I don't go down to
the ERC much so I'm not sure who you are.  I'm on the ten-year plan,
ie. I *will* graduate by my ten-year high school reunion if it kills me!