Re: Mules in endurance

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:24:25 -0400 Teddy Lancaster
<Teddy@runningbear.com> writes:
>Did you not know that a mule won the Haggin Cup at the Tevis this
>year?
>
>Sure, mules can do it!!!
>
>Teddy
>

>guest@endurance.net wrote:
>
>> PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO GUEST@ENDURANCE.NET!!!
>> You must post replies to the actual sender listed below.
>>
>> From: morganbarbee
>> Email: barbeemd@pvtnetworks.net
>>
>> I am interested in starting endurance, but I love mules. Is it
>possible to do mules in endurance?  Also, what is the smallest size
>animal that can do endurance and what is the largest? Thanks!

Yes, Ms. Lancaster is correct. a Molly named Ruby won the James Ben Ali
Haggin Cup (BC) at the '98 Tevis. I watched the best conditioned
competition and she was the obvious winner. The only real challengers
were Dr. Smith's horse and a grey that finished 11th but made it to the
top ten for Haggin Cup competition due to a horse in front of him not
meeting the weight criterion. The Molly showed no signs of being "off" at
all in any category. A fair choice. Of course, we only witnessed the
trot-outs and weren't privy to the other scores.

The Haggin Cup is significant as it is named for one of the finest
thoroughbreds ever raised in California. Ben Ali won the Kentucky Derby
in 1886. Ruby definitely deserved the accolades of having her name
inscribed on the trophy named after such a historic horse.

Ruby seemed destined for a second place but Marcia Smith made a valiant
charge to overtake her making a fine run from Lower Quarry to the
fairgrounds.

If you can find the Ride magazine issue of last summer that featured the
cover story of Frank Smith it's a definite keeper. It *will* lift your
spirits and give much insight into the use of mules in endurance. In '98
Frank on Little Buckaroo finished in the top twenty, in '97 he top
ten(ed). In '97 they finished in 16 hr 56 min. Frank outlines his methods
of training and just how he approaches the ride. It's a must read for
anybody who is thinking about approaching endurance with a mule. A heck
of a nice fellow to boot.

As far as size goes both the mules I have spoken of are TB on the equine
side as I recall. They are both rather tall in hand size. Personally as I
think a mule steps in terms of it's other side ancestors they make fine
candidates regardless of height.

Hope this helps at all,

carrie in Las Vegas

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]