Winter sweat management

Geography:  My gelding is boarded, and we ride forest trails, just south of
the MD/PA line in central Maryland.

The first winter after I bought him, in the fall of '96, he had to be
blanketed because he had very little winter coat (prior owner had used him
for show/ring competition).  Last winter, he was noticably fuzzier and he
promises to be even more so this coming winter.

And now we're logging a lot more miles.  My plan is to cool him out with an
Irish anti-sweat sheet under a polarfleece cooler.  What do other people do?

Cindy Eyler
Baltimore