Re: OUCH! Hoof trimmed too close.

Hi Susan:  We have a ferrier, or what I call a hoof trimmer guy, and he has
been trimming our horses for 5 years. When he first started trimming our
horse, right after we got our first horse, I noticed that our 17-year old
Morgan was a little delicate on the front hooves.  It took me about 3
trimmer visits to be able to relate the trim time to the delicateness.  I
mentioned it to the trimmer guy, and since then I haven't noticed any
tenderness.  I guess that is all to say that hoof trimming is an art and it
might just need to be adjusted slightly for each horse. If all else with the
present trimmer guy is OK, I would discuss it with him and see if he felt
that a slight adjustment was in order.
   Sherman