Bareback riding

Sorry to ask so many questions.  I ride my horse bareback and when I do get a
saddle, it will most likely be a synthetic western saddle.  Before I do
though, will riding my horse bareback during his endurance training hurt him?
I have ridden him this way since I had him (over a year now).  What will
happen if I compete on him bareback?  Will the type of saddle I want be good
enough for training and competition?  Or will an all purpose english saddle do
better?  Thanks again.
PSCHO Pony and Spirit, the newbies to this sport.