G.C.30 story (long)

This weekend Mystery and I successfully completed the Gold Country 30 LD
ride.   This ride takes place in the Sierra Foothills.  Camping is
beneath beautiful conifers, plenty of water, very friendly people (Gold
Country Endurance Riders)...many single track winding trails, some
fireroads...just a beautiful ride.  We did this ride last year but with
a few differences.  It was 90+ degrees, Mystery was not in as good of
shape as he is now, I almost died of heat stroke, the drag rider came in
before me......this year was much different thank goodness!

I headed up Friday with a 50 miler (Malcolm Booth) and his horse
Pinnacle.  Karen Sullivan and friend Tammy saved a beautiful campsite
for us which we later shared with Tammy's sister Torre.  Karen was
signed up for the 50 on her mare Chancey but was fighting the flu so
later switched to the 30.  I was delighted for the company and the
wisdom and I ended up "sticking like glue" to her during the ride.
Mystery's trot matched Chanceys slow canter and the horses got along
very well so it was a good match.

We started about 7 minutes after the time-out began.  I've never started
so close to the beginning so it was a nice mental wall to climb over.
The single track winding trail lasts around 4 miles and is perfect for a
controlled beginning.  Mystery felt strong and enthusiastic and at no
time during the ride did I have to urge him on.  I did put a red flag in
his tail as he doesn't like to be crowded and he has a sorted past, and
I kind of laughted to myself at how many other horses also had  their
tails flagged, especially when we were riding together!   He was not
bothered by any of the other horses but I figured it would be better to
have that warning just in case.

About 13 miles out Mystery sees out of the corner of his eye a red
ribbon in his tail flapping around.  Well, he freaks out and starts
bucking full blast!!  I'm yelling at him and he stops, I grab his tail
and am showing him it is just a stupid ribbon, you pee brain!  Well, it
was kind of funny and just so dumb!  We went into the spot check and the
ribbon didn't seem to bother him so I left it.  Wouldn't you know as
soon as we leave and start trotting it starts bugging  him again!  He
doesn't buck, just gives his own butt the "meanies" with his ears back
and tail a swishing!  I finally took it off as he was fine with all the
trotting horses.

The vet checks did not have any mandatory holds.  I was happy for this
as it was too cold to just have the horses standing around for an hour.
The volunteers are wonderful, they had coolers for the horses as soon as
you came into a check, drinks and snacks, and are just nice people.
Mystery's heartrate went below criteria a few minutes after we finished
trotting and walked into the vet check which was a huge indication of
the condition he was in.  He vetted in with all A's (even attitude!)
except for gut sounds but that was normal.  We let the horses eat and
drink for 10-15 minutes (we only had 5 more miles to go) and then headed
down the trail before they stiffened up too much from the cold.

We made it into the finish at 1:00pm.  That  is 5-1/2 hours including
the vet checks.  We did not gallop, just mostly trotting and canters,
walking down hills.....I still could not believe it!  And better yet, he
was ready to do more!  What a thrill!  The vet at the end of the race
told me he was in Excellent condition!  That meant alot to me.    The
vets did not think his back was very sore, but probably  because he was
still so warm.  We then headed back to camp to await Malcolm.

Well, the temps dropped and the rain turned to hail.  First the red
ribbon pissed him off, then the hail stones really pissed him off!  I
was walking him and we started to get bombarded with hail stones.  He
acted like he wanted to buck some more so I got under some trees as
quickly as possible and when it cleared a little got him into the nice
dry slant load trailer.  Man, do I have a moody horse!  Malcolm came in,
soaked but warm thanks to a G.C. volunteer who gave him a nice warm coat
to wear, and vetted through successfully.  We let Pinnacle eat and drink
and rest for 1-1/2 hours and we packed up.  Usually I don't head home
the same day but with the horses cold, shivering, and knowing it was not
hailing in lower elevations, we headed to Auburn and unloaded there,
giving them time to rest and warm up, then we headed home.

Next day he was out in the pasture munching the rye grass looking as if
he was never ridden.  No stocking up at all, very slightly sore back on
the right side, that's it.  It amazes me how strong these horses are.

This is a great ride to do if you want something a little harder than a
normal 25.  There are no holds at the vets, they give the option to the
rider, so I would not recommend it for a beginner rider to LD.  They
also tell the 30's they need to move over if any 50's come up on the
trail behind you (we always give trail regardless and we always ASK).
They also tell you the 30's may be displaced at the vet lines by the
50's.  They also tell you if you don't know how to pulse your horse
without a stethescope you should not be out on the trail, period.  So,
in my opinion, it is not a good beginning ride.  I have a friend who
almost brought her morgan for her first LD ride and am very happy she
did not.  I'm not writing this to be debated, it is only my perception
and opinion.  For me, it was fine as we've trained for 3 years now and I
am ready to move up to the 50's.

Thanks to the Gold Country Endurance Club for putting on this ride.
This is how they give back to endurance.  Thanks to Karen, Tammy and
Torre for their mental support and friendship.  No thanks to the hail
but at least the trails were not dusty.

Happy riding to all,
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab...."get that thing outta my tail
Pt.Reyes, CA